Pages

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

NYC Pumpkin and comparison shots

I got NYC Pumpkin for Halloween manis. Its a true orange with a shimmer. When I was applying it, I was reminded of China Glaze Riveting from the Hunger Games series. So I grabbed the Hunger Games bottle. OK it looked different, but I decided to apply CG to my other hand to compare. As you can see the nails on one hand are nubbins. :( I actually after this manicure decided to do a 1 week nail therapy. I did take before pics of the nails so we can compare, and that is as much info as you will get out of me. I was silly and didn't think to queue up posts, so you will get stash shots or manicures on my toddlers.

Anyway back to the polish. This is a shiny almost metallic orange. This is with 2 coats and on camera you can see a little visible nail line, but not bad. It was pretty easy application, no streaking and dried evenly, just not opaque.





This could go well as the base to pumpkin nail art if you were so inclined. But for less than $2, its great. I can't remember if this was in the $1.49 or $0.99 colors at walmart, but let's just say its some nice cheap thrills.


Now the comparison.
 Right off I could see the difference. China glaze is very much darker. But I had forgotten how it translated to the nail so I applied a quick 1 coat to my other hand.
 This has glass fleck type glitter/shimmer in it. Similar to the glass flecks style of Ruby Slippers, but obviously not ruby red. This is red orange..

And photos of the two together. I think if you tend toward cool colors on your nails you could still pull off the 'orange' in CG Riveting, but NYC Pumpkin is very much a warm golden orange.

I ended up applying several coats of Wet N Wild glow that I won in a giveaway in the dark to the Pumpkin and going out to a Trunk or Treat for our church. It didn't last the 20 minutes we were walking around. :-/ And I didn't take photos of it before. So no pics of that. I do think a big problem was the fact that you can't have a top coat with glow in the dark so one collision with a plastic pumpkin bucket and you are doomed.. But next time I will take photos before heading out. It did glow pretty well with the recommended 3 coats.

China Glaze retails for $7.99 and can be found various places online and in beauty stores. Last I knew this line was $1.50 at Sally's beauty supply (it was a spring collection). NYC varies in price depending on the color/finish, but its between $0.99 and $1.99 at places like Walmart and drug stores. All polish was bought by me and all opinions are my own!

1 comment:

  1. NYC Pumpkin is so pretty! While I love Riveting, it's a bit too cool to look fab on me, so I definitely like how Pumpkin is warmer. :-)

    ~ Yun

    ReplyDelete